Email marketing tends to get a bad reputation, but it’s a necessary part of any marketing mix. It provides a wide variety of benefits:
- Immediate nature allows you to come up with extremely timely emails.
- Allows you to include a wide variety of engaging pieces, including videos, surveys, and graphics.
- Emails are extremely trackable, giving you the opportunity to do plenty of A/B testing.
- It’s an extremely inexpensive marketing channel that allows you to reach as many prospects as you want without breaking the budget.
Here are some important dos and don’ts to help you build the perfect email marketing campaign:
Email Marketing Traps
Just about every business has an email list, but the vast majority of them are failing at building or leveraging it to any form of success. Here are the mistakes they make that you need to avoid:
- Talking too much. Writing a lengthy email wastes your time and it turns readers off. If you send a short, succinct emails viewers will be more likely to read it and keep opening your future messages.
- Not sounding genuine. You want people to open your messages, but you don’t want to insult their intelligence. Don’t promise them millions of dollars or overuse exclamation marks in the subject. Make your headline reasonable, relevant, and snappy for best success.
- Winging it. If you’re only sending out a single email a week, you’re making a mistake. Even if you only have one campaign each week, you need to send it at least twice just to see which headline works better. If you’re not constantly testing headlines, formatting, button style, CTAs, and more, then you’ll have a hard time making continual progress.
Email Marketing Best Practices
Some businesses, on the other hand, really get it. They have a huge mailing list of engaged, interested subscribers. They get terrific open rates and enviable conversion rates. Here’s how they do it:
- Be consistent. If you want to maintain a quality email list, you need to provide value on a regular basis. Otherwise people are going to tune out and unsubscribe. Make sure you send out content at least once per week, and even more often if you can.
- Send at the right time. Experts found that the exact time you send your email has a direct impact on whether or not it’s opened or yields a click-through. Generally, 8 am, 9 am, and 3 pm are great times to yield both a high click-through rate and a high open rate.
- Use email automation. Email automation lets you do a lot of great things, like sending a series of emails over a period of time to new subscribers, or re-sending emails to prospects that didn’t respond to your first try, thus boosting your open rate.
If you need to tweak your email marketing strategy, reach out to our team of West Michigan inbound marketing experts here at 21 Handshake. We’d love to introduce ourselves, see how we can help you, and shake your hand!